Seven days a week, from 9 AM till 11 PM, I basically never put down my phone. I hate admitting that but it’s the truth, I mean technically I could run my whole business from my phone and who knows, maybe someday I will, you never know. Anway working for myself allows me the freedom to work when I want and where I want, which makes having my phone on hand, organized and charged ideal. Whether I get an email that needs an immediate response or become overwhelmed with a blog post idea and decide to write the post then and there, having my phone present helps me knock out my to-do lists week after week.
Now, because my phone is kind of like the gateway to my business it’s really essential for me to keep it organized and decluttered. For some reason, I get really easily distracted while using my phone so it’s always important for me to avoid downloading apps that might send me down the rabbit hole, like Facebook, Pinterest, Etsy and a few others. Overall, my iPhone first and foremost helps me run my business, from emails to calendar events, it’s truly a key to my productivity, which brings me to today’s post. Okay, right now I’m bringing you all into my phone and sharing 5 apps I can’t live without when it comes to running a blog!
1) Reminders – I mean, it’s no joke when I say I LOVE MAKING LISTS! In total, I have about nine to-do lists created within this app, which, in an of itself, helps me to manage my time, delegate tasks and decrease any work related anxiety I might be feeling. So let’s break down all the lists, I have a list for each member of the TCC Crew, this way I don’t forget what tasks they’re working on and where we are on certain projects, along with six of my own personal to-do lists. We have grocery shopping lists, clothing items to purchase for photo shoots lists, and my favorite list details to be confirmed prior to collaboration lists,
I mean I even have a list dedicated to YouTube video ideas, because nothing is worse than forgetting a brilliant spur of the moment idea. Anyway, this app is the first thing I see when I open my phone and the last thing I look at before I fall asleep at night, in fact, I’d say it’s a key to both my efficiency and success. I found that keeping each to-do list to a maximum of seven points helps keep task overflow to a minimum whilst still having a packed and successful day.
2) Planoly – Being consistent with social media is a huge part of running a successful blog and Instagram account, but it’s no secret that posting at the right time each day is key to growing as well. In order to stay seen and on top of Instagram’s ever-changing algorithm, I use the app Planoly to lay out my feed for the week and set post reminders to my phone, alerting me when it’s the perfect time to post. I know it sounds extra but I do try to schedule all of my Instagrams and affiliated @liketoknow.it links for the week on Monday through this app, and then leave the caption to the day of. This keeps me in a flow of posting and helps me to stay consistent even on the days where I’m feeling burnt out
3) Weather App – I mean a big part of our business is creating content and good weather is essential for this. The weather can change like a blink of an eye in New England so having the weather app downloaded and the radar up and ready, helps me to see what rain spells we might bump into and which state or town we should head to for shooting. This app has been a huge lifesaver and has helped us become more efficient at knowing when to shoot and when to work inside and wait out the rain.
4) Google Calendar – Surprisingly starting in 2018, and as our TCC Crew grew, conference calls started to become a weekly thing. Whether I have a call with a reporter, my beautiful manager, Cecelia or Tessa; I’m on the phone almost every Thursday all day long. And if I’m being honest I’ve been out or about once or twice and have missed a phone call meeting once or twice, which I knew had to stop. So I downloaded google calendar and turned on notifications, which means thirty minutes before each call I get a text reminding me of the meeting. This has been a game changer as it keeps me in line and on top of who I’ll be chatting with next on my busiest day of the week.
5) Headspace – If you read my birthday post then you already know that I’m now hooked on meditating and I owe that all to Headspace. I can get anxious and overwhelmed over BASIC stuff easily. I mean I really don’t know why but sometimes things like scheduling tweets can feel more daunting than writing blog posts, so when the small stuff is making me sweat I turn to this app. The best part is that they offer three and even five-minute mediation sessions, which is a quick way to reset your thoughts in those crucial moments of mental defeat. Read more about my love for the app here.
Okay, that’s it. I’m actually writing this on my birthday and it’s actually the last thing on my reminder to-do list before clocking out. Now I’d love to hear from you…what is your favorite app to use for staying organized and on task? Let me know below! xx Aubrey
Shop This Post: